Wednesday, February 24, 2010

New technique with watercolor


New sample introducing watercolour and a more limited palette

Sketches for a map of Toronto

More sketches

I am working on changing my style abit by combining loose watercolour washes with my marker drawings.
The contrast of the two mediums keeps it fresh looking.
This technique is very influenced by Miroslav Sasek and the recently mentioned Mr. Steinberg!

I'm also moving toward a more limited colour palette to give my work a cohesive and more retro look. A limited palette also works better for surface design applications - like wallpaper!

2 comments:

Shane Harrison said...

meant to type this earlier. you've had so many juicy blog posts lately! just wanted to tell you that i LOVE this direction you are going in. it looks fresh & effortless & it's so YOU. i want more! more!

Alanna Cavanagh said...

ahh thanks shane.

xox
alanna