Monday, March 9, 2009

NYC Day 5: Needlepoint with Shane Harrison




Day 5 of NYC I kicked back with illustrator and fellow needlepointer Shane Harrison for an afternoon of stitching, and coffee (and ok bitching too). First stop - Rita's Needlepoint shop at 150 East 79th St. for stocking of wool! Next stop = the wonderful Housing Works bookshop on Crosby street in SOHO. Highly recommended for extended lingering!
For my needlepoint design I used a drawing I had quickly sketched of one of those "Victorian pointing hands". (I don't know if there is a more technical terms for these hands. Please write in if you know! Thanks) I liked the energy in the drawing and thought it'd fit nicely as an eye glass case. Above is the drawing and my progress so far.
ps. I'm aware needlepoint sounds extremely 'Granny' but it does wonders for the brain by inducing slow theta waves (or something like that) which lead to a deeply relaxed state - so there!

No comments: